Sunday, June 10, 2007

Colin Blow


Above: A sufficient metaphor for today's political needs

I just love it when someone who lent his name and reputation to criminally stupid and stupidly criminal activity decides, once the political wind changes direction, that now he'll take a courageous stand against the criminal stupidity:

Guantanamo has become a major, major problem for America’s perception as it’s seen, the way the world perceives America. And if it was up to me, I would close Guantanamo not tomorrow, but this afternoon. I’d close it. And I would not let any of those people go. I would simply move them to the United States and put them into our federal legal system. The concern was, “Well, then they’ll have access to lawyers, then they’ll have access to writs of habeas corpus.” So what? Let them. Isn’t that what our system’s all about?

Awfully shrill, General. Just terribly shrill. Not very centrist at all.

I guess I should welcome these defections, but, you know, how about a little accountability? "I am utterly opposed to the continued raping of your sister and would stop it immediately just like I failed to do when it was happening right in front of me five years ago if only I weren't an outsider now."

Yeah. Real courageous, Colin. Better late than never, sure, but don't dislocate your shoulder just yet.